Parish Council2

The Parish Council

Parish Council3

The Parish Council

Village Hall

The Parish Council

Parish Council History

Parish Council History

Parish Council History

Little Houghton Parish Council was established in 1894 under the Local Government Act of that year. A Meeting was held in the school in December to establish a Parish Council. Forty seven parishioners attended and a Mr. A.C. Eyles, Overseer of the Parish was elected as the Chair. Nine nominations for the Council were received and the candidates were declared as elected.

For the following years the business consisted of Appointing the Parish Constable Appointing Overseers of the Parish for the Hardingstone Board of Guardians Administering the Parish Charities

A detailed account of the work of the Parish Council from 1897 until 2000 was included in an excellent publication entitled “A Little Houghton Parish Appraisal” and produced to celebrate the Millennium of the Year 2000. At that time it was circulated to every household in Little Houghton. Mr. Peter King who served on the Council for 43 years has kindly updated the original Parish Council History to the present time. Here are some interesting items taken from this complete history but we would be happy to supply a copy of the full account to any interested parishioners.

 

1897

The Ward’s Gift to the Poor was valued at £14-5-6 and each recipient was given 6 shillings and nine pence halfpenny.

1911

A meeting to discuss the means to provide for the parish decided that the landlords should endeavour to find water for their tenants before the District Council step in and force it on the ratepayers. This must have been implemented and a mains water supply was later connected.

1915

Parish Constable Mr. Thomas W. Bowler was paid £1 for his services.

1919

The District Council enquired whether any houses were needed for the working classes. It was decided that two were required (14 & 16 Lodge Road) – this number increased very considerably over the years.

A large amount of refuse had been deposited by residents on the farm road (Lodge Road i.e. on the south side of the by-pass) and it was decided to burn as much as possible, bury the hard things, and try to prevent people from depositing garden and other refuse.

1921

 The first bank account was opened for the Council.

1924

£5 (a half penny in the pound Poor Rate) was voted to pay for the attendance of the Town Fire Brigade to the parish in the event of a fire).

1926

Clerk’s Salary was £1-6-3 for one year and three month’s service. The Council asked that the signs indicating a speed limit of 10 m.p.h. be placed at the approaches to the village.

1927

Northampton Electric Light Company enquired whether the Parish Council would support the installation of electricity into the village. This was agreed and it was installed in 1928.

1929

The first street lamp was fitted, free for the first winter, at the corner of lodge Road, but no more lamps were installed until 1938.

1937

 The District Council approved the scheme to build houses on First Allotment Field. 8 were built being 39 – 53 Lodge Road.

1938

The Parish Council accepted Mrs. Davidge’s offer of the Lease of the Parish Hall and a management committee was set up.

1944

The Post Office was asked to provide a telephone kiosk.

1959

The County Council were asked to arrange a traffic count to include types of vehicles in order to support a by-pass scheme.

1960

Following complaints regarding the playing of football in Lodge Close, the Council discussed the need for a field where such games could be played.

1961

A proposal for the extraction of sand and gravel was received from the County Planning Officer and this was approved although concern was expressed regarding the increase in traffic. It was agreed that there was a need for litter bins.

1967

A County Councillor spoke of her efforts to prevent Little Houghton and other villages from being absorbed into the borough.

1973

The plan for the proposed Conservation Area in the village was presented to the County Council and was later accepted.

1976

The Council investigated the possibility of a concessionary bus fare scheme for pensioners.

1979

11th December – the by-pass road was eventually opened after a long history of controversy dating back to 1959.

1980

Alarm was expressed that sub-post offices were threatened with closure if payment of pensions was to be made by cheque.

1989

The telephone kiosk was listed as Grade II having been judged to be of special architectural and historic interest.

1991

A public participation period of 10 minutes prior to Council was introduced.

1995

The Parish Council purchased the Playing field in Lodge Road for £1.

2000

The Council gave grants towards the Church flagpole being replaced and the weathervane and clock restored. A letter of congratulations was sent to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on th birthday. Her 100 2001 The footpaths were reopened following an outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease in the County.

2003

John Ford retired after serving 42 years as a Councillor. A village party and presentation were organised by the P.C. funded by a village collection. Maps of the parish footpaths were delivered to every house.

2004

Concerns about the dangerous A428 junction at the west end of the village were discussed, and speed cameras and/or a roundabout were proposed. After much discussion permission was granted for the old school building in Bedford Road to be used as a private Nursery School for 40 children.

2006

Bedford A428 junction – the PC proposed the installation of a central reservation with bollards.

2007

Peter King retired after serving for 43 years as a Councillor – another village party and presentation were organised.

2008

The problems of the Brafield lay-by were solved by the joint efforts of Brafield P.C. and our own.

Your login details have been used by another user or machine. Login details can only be used once at any one time so you have therefore automatically been logged out. Please contact your sites administrator if you believe this other user or machine has unauthorised access.